NASA Goddard Job Recruitment Schedule & Florida A & M
The TALK Program
Applications due: NOVEMBER 18, 2016 @ 9am
TALK is an eight-week seminar program geared towards American University students and scholars (both U.S. and international, graduate and undergraduate), which seeks to bring about meaningful dialogue between participants on a number of cross-cultural issues, and to create greater intercultural understanding on campus. TALK is a sponsored program of International Student & Scholar Services at American University and has run for many years on campus with positive feedback from both participants and facilitators. One graduate student facilitator said, “Facilitating [TALK] was one of the best professional development experiences.”
The TALK program currently has volunteer facilitator positions open for the Spring 2017 semester. This is a great opportunity to gain hands-on intercultural training experience! Facilitators are paired and co-facilitate 8 informal weekly sessions (based on a provided manual of topics and activities).
*Please note that this is an unpaid position, but several past facilitators have received independent study or internship credit for their TALK experience.
- Prepare (with a co-facilitator) weekly sessions using the TALK manual and/or other resources – plans are provided but co-facilitators are welcome to develop their own sessions. (1-3 hrs/week)
- Coordinate any special room set up or preparation
- Co-facilitate eight (8) weekly 2-hour sessions. Session days and times will be determined by co-facilitators’ schedules. (2 hrs/week)
- Communicate as needed with group participants (reminders, room changes, etc.) and program coordinator
- Participate in two check-in meetings throughout the semester (2 hrs each) with TALK coordinators and other facilitators (4 hrs/semester).
- Participate in 2 day weekend training (16 hours) in January (exact dates TBD)
- Current AU graduate student, university staff, or AU alumna/us
- Familiarity with cross-cultural communication field (terminology and basic concepts)
- Enthusiasm for working with young people of college age on cross-cultural issues
- Facilitation experience (Training Program Design course or experience facilitating groups)
- Ability to work well with a co-facilitator
- Ability to think spontaneously and creatively within a live group dynamic
- Availability during a 2 weekend training for facilitators in January (exact dates TBD)
Program Support provided by ISSS
- Provide training and program evaluation sessions for facilitators.
- Provide a facilitator’s manual with plans for each session.
- Provide additional resources and support for TALK facilitators (access to previous facilitators on campus, library of training books and materials in ISSS office).
- Recruit student participants, process applications, and create student groups.
- Coordinate room reservations and provide basic program supplies
Priority will be given to current AU graduate students, especially past TALK participants. If you have any questions about the TALK program or would like to speak to current/former facilitators, please contact Jacquelynn Leyvas, TALK Program Coordinator at email@example.com.
TO APPLY: Please email Jacquelynn at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
1) A current resume
2) The name and contact information of at least one reference who can speak to your
background in group facilitation or training
3) A bit about yourself:
- Why are you interested in facilitating TALK? What experience (including classes) have you had as a facilitator and/or in training program design?
- What cross-cultural experiences have you had (including classes and/or trainings in cross-cultural communication and similar topics), and personal experience with other cultures.
- Have you participated in TALK before? If so, who were your facilitators?
4) Indicate your availability to facilitate for Spring 2017. Please indicate all the days you would be available during the following times: (ISSS offers up to 4 groups that meet for two hours; the times listed include set up time)
Monday – Thursday 5:30pm – 8:15pm
Monday-Thursday 2:00pm – 4:45pm
5) Please indicate all the times you could be available for an interview during the following days/times:
Tuesday, November 29th, 2016 9am – 6pm
Friday, December 2nd, 2016 9am – 5pm
*If neither of these dates/times are convenient for you please mention that in the email and provide a time that works for you. We prefer in-person interviews, but Skype is also an option. If you are unable to interview in person, please provide your Skype name.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN THE TALK PROGRAM!!!
TALK Program Cooridnator
International Student and Scholar Services